- Academic School:
Arts and Humanities
- Academic Department:
Arts and Media
- 315-460-3174 ext:3174
Alan V. Stankiewicz works in our East Syracuse office as a part-time Arts Mentor for Empire State College. He earned a B.F.A. from Pratt Institute in the Areas of Printmaking and Art’s Education and a M.A in Drawing and Education from Central Connecticut State College. Educationally he has worked in public schools and museums in Connecticut and New York developing and implementing visual arts and community based programs. Artistically his paintings, drawings, and photographic works have been exhibited regionally, nationally, and in East Africa.
As part of a Fulbright Hayes Grant through Yale University and several regional Artists’ grants, Alan Stankiewicz moved to Nairobi, Kenya in the early 90’s where he pursued his visual work on cultural aesthetics in Kenya and Zanzibar, Tanzania. Alan Stankiewicz founded and ran a textile design company working with designers in the apparel and home furnishing industries, providing inspiration through antique textile documents for current trends. Returning to the “Art of Teaching” at Empire State College brings his life’s experiences full circle which he hopes to share with the students and faculty of Central New York State his life’s work. Mr. Stankiewicz has been actively involved with the Empire State College’s Central Arts Gallery housed at the Telergy Building in our East Syracuse location, the Adirondack Residency during the fall term, and offers directed independent studies and group studies through the Arts Learning Community in several visual arts disciplines.
Currently a Member of the Independent Potters Association (I.P.A.) founded in Syracuse New York., Mr. Stankiewicz has discovered the nuances of wood fire pottery and is currently creating clay works at Clayscapes Studios in Central New York, while exhibiting his clay work regionally
- Exhibitions: 2017 Good Things Come in Small Packages: Juried Clay Show, Flower City Arts Center Rochester, New York
- 2011 Central Arts Gallery: S.U.N.Y. Empire State College Syracuse, New York 3 Photographers
- 1991 French Cultural Center Nairobi, Kenya One-man show, “Kutembea: Journeys for the Mind’s Eye”
- 1990 Yale University New Haven, Connecticut Photography, “East Africa: Three Portfolios”
- 1989 Connecticut Commission on the Arts Hartford, Connecticut “Group Drawing Show”