Associate Department Chair
- Saratoga Springs (113 West Ave.)
- Academic School:
Science, Mathematics and Technology
- Academic Department:
- M.S. in Environmental Biology from George Mason University
- B.A. in Biology from Oneonta - State University of New York
- Environmental Science
I began teaching college courses in 1982 at Northern Virginia Community College and continued at Hudson Valley Community College and Albany College of Pharmacy after moving back to New York in 1988. In 2004 I began my career at Empire State College and have performed a variety of roles, including teaching, research, and administration. In addition to teaching various Biology courses, some of my favorite activities are developing new courses and revising existing courses. Over the years I developed Genetics, Ornithology, Biology I, Biology II, and Genomics and You. Periodically, I have revised these courses, and I have also assisted with major revisions of many other Biology courses. I am an enthusiastic proponent of online education. I am proud to have been a part of the early introduction of online courses and proud to continue to be a part of their ongoing improvement. It has been gratifying to witness firsthand the effectiveness of online teaching tools on our students’ learning.
- M.V. Mawn, C. Gleason. (2010). Promoting On-line Students’ Engagement in Genetics Through the Review of Scientific Literature. 17th Annual ASM Conference for Undergraduate Educators, San Diego, CA, May 2010. Abstract published in the Journal of Microbiology & Biology Education, May 2010, p. 69-101.
- M.V. Mawn, C. Gleason. (2011). Promoting Students’ Understanding of Scientific Research through Asynchronous Online Discussions. 18th Annual ASM Conference for Undergraduate Educators, Baltimore, MD. Abstract published in the Journal of Microbiology & Biology Education, May 2011, p. 88-119.
- P. Ortiz, P. Carrico, M. Mawn, C. Gleason, A. Matias, A. Stock. (2011). Improving the efficacy of online science education via enhanced student-student interactions. Experimental Biology Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, April 2011.
- A. Matias, J. Duncan-Poitier, M. Groome, J. Lansing, G. Moore, P. Ortiz, K. Breton, G. Elphick, C. Gleason. (2016). Mentoring in Informal Afterschool Programs: STEM Graduate Students as Mentors. 9th Annual Mentoring Conference at the University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM, October, 2016.