- Academic School:
- Academic Department:
- 315-472-5730 ext:3145
- B.A. in Psychology from Siena College
- M.S.Ed. in Education, Adult Education from Le Moyne College
- Ph.D. in Child and Family Studies from Syracuse University
- Susan H. Turben Chair in Mentoring, 2017
- Provost Fellow, 2018
- Scholar Across the College, 2016-2017
- Center for Mentoring and Learning Faculty Associate, 2015-2016
- Altes Award for Exemplary Community Service, 2013
- Community & Human Services
- Early Childhood Studies
- Human Development
Desalyn De-Souza is Dean of the School of Human Services at SUNY Empire State College. Prior to her role as Dean she was an Associate Professor and Department Chair of Child and Family Studies at the college. Desalyn earned a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Siena College, a Master’s degree in Education with a concentration in Adult Education from LeMoyne College, and a Ph.D. in Child and Family Studies from Syracuse University.
Desalyn specializes in Early Care and Education of infants and toddlers. Prior to joining SUNY Empire State College in 2008, she coordinated a 14-county region of the New York State Infant and Toddler Resource Network, aimed at promoting quality caregiving for infants and toddlers. Her research interests are focused on the philosophy and practice of continuity of care with infants and toddlers in center-based programs, as well as workforce and professional development issues.
Most recent publication:
Gedro, J., Allain, N.M., De-Souza, D., Dodson, L., & Mawn, M. (2020). Flattening the Learning Curve of Leadership Development: Reflections of Five Women Higher Education Leaders During the Coronavirus Pandemic of 2020. Human Resouce Development International, DOI: 10.1080/13678868.2020.1779911
- De-Souza, D. (2010). Influencing the development of character, citizenship, mutual respect and social responsibility with preschoolers, E-Reporter, New York State Association for the Education of Young Children.
- De-Souza, D., Galuski, T., & Pollock, B. (2019). Educating the Child Care Administrator, Journal of Early Childhood Teacher Education, DOI: 10.1080/10901027.2019.1578308
- De-Souza, D., Galuski, T., & Minott, C. (2018). Connecting Early Childhood Students and Faculty from the Caribbean and the United States through COIL: Successes, Challenges and Opportunities. SUNY COIL Conference Proceedings, 18-28. https://issuu.com/sunycoilcenter/docs/2018_coil_conference_proceedings
- De-Souza, D. (2014). Educating the early childhood educator: A mentoring model for adult learners, Young Children, 69(2), 88-93.
- De-Souza, D. (2014). Touchpoints: An Approach for Mentoring, Teaching and Learning, All About Mentoring, issue 45.