- Saratoga Springs (113 West Ave.)
- Academic School:
Science, Mathematics and Technology
- Academic Department:
- B.A. in Mathematics: Mathematics-Physics from Wells College
- Ed.D. in Mathematics Education from University of Rochester
- Educational Studies
- Interdisciplinary Multidisciplinary Studies
Dr. Betty Hurley has an Ed.D. in mathematics education from the University of Rochester. At SUNY Empire State College, she has primarily served as a mentor/coordinator in the area of mathematics, although she has also held some administrative positions, including coordinating a program for Lebanese students. As an Area Coordinator for the Center for Distance Learning, she has facilitated the development of over twenty online math courses, including those for general education as well as upper division courses. Her research interests center on the facilitation and assessment of online learning. She is on the editorial board of IJPE (International Journal of Process Education) and incorporates concepts from process education into online courses that she has developed. She is also interested in alternative approaches to learning, such as MOOCs and co-developed a MOOC on Creativity and Multicultural Communication with colleague Carol Yeager. In 2013, she was named an HP fellow and developed a mini-course for the HP Academy on STEM Learning and ePortfolios. She has presented on ePortfolios at OLC, AAEEBL and IFWE. And, she is a stream editor for the International Journal on Innovations in Online Education (IJIOE), focusing on ePortfolios and PLA.
- Bliss, Catherine and Lawrence, Betty. “Development and Application of a Multi-Factor Discussion Board Metric”. Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks”.Vol. 13 (2), August 2009.
- Lawrence, Betty Hurley. “Technology and the Development of Mathematical Skills in Adult Learners”. Chapter in Adult Numeracy Development: Theory, Research, Practice , Hampton Press, 2000.
- Redfield, Karen and Lawrence, Betty Hurley. Foundations of Learning, Pacific Crest, 2008.
- Yeager, C., Hurley-Dasgupta, B., & Bliss, C. A. (2013). cMOOCs and Global Learning: An Authentic Alternative. Journal Of Asynchronous Learning Networks, 17(2), 133-147.