- Academic School:
Science, Mathematics and Technology
- Academic Department:
- 212-647-7800 ext:1269
- M.S. Computer Science in Computer Science from Yerevan University
- Ph.D. Mathematics in Mathematics from National Academy of Sciences of Armenia
- Computer Science
- Information Systems
- Information Technology
- Interdisciplinary Multidisciplinary Studies
Gohar Marikyan is the 2020 recipient of the Turnab Chair in Mentoring award and the 2012 recipient of the Susan H. Turben Award for Excellence in Scholarship. She holds a Ph.D. degree in mathematics (research Ph.D. in mathematical logic) and an M.S. in computer science (research master’s degree in theory of algorithms). Dr. Marikyan continues to actively pursue her research in mathematical logic as it applies to computer science. She also is interested in the history of math education as it applies to the development of teaching methodology for building stronger mathematical foundations. The results and findings of her research have been presented at domestic and international conferences and published in a number of scientific journals. Recently Dr. Marikyan published her book “Anania Shirakatsi’s Tvabanutiun: World’s Oldest Manuscript on Arithmetic. Part 1: Addition.”To reflect advances in technology, she continues to create new studies in mathematics and computer science. Dr. Marikyan also teaches business-related mathematics and computer studies. She won the Susan H. Turben Award for Excellence in Scholarship in 2012, and in 2020 Susan H. Turben Chair in Mentoring award.
Born, brought up, and educated in Armenia, under the Soviet system, Dr. Marikyan has extensively studied the history and ideology of the Soviet Union, and was an eyewitness to its workings and its collapse. After its collapse, Dr. Marikyan was involved, firsthand, in the development, and the operation of the very first nongovernmental organizations in the Soviet Union – the Gtutiun Armenian Benevolent Union – as its information systems department head, liaison officer, and publicity director. In addition, she has taken several courses in the management and leadership of NGOs and has participated in various programs that emerged after the Soviet collapse. She was the winner of the Competition on Proposal Writing, USAID; and won a grant by the United States Information Agency’s Regional Scholar Exchange Program and Freedom Support Act Fellowship; and was invited for a three-month visit to the United States to research management and leadership of nongovernmental organizations at the Western Connecticut State University. She also is a certified teacher of religion of the Armenian Apostolic Church.
- Book Marikyan, Gohar. Anania Shirakatsi’s Tvabanutiun: World’s Oldest Manuscript on Arithmetic, Part 1: Addition, 2011
- Math Anxiety, Its Development and Elimination. International Conference on Social Science, Arts, Business and Education, Venice, Italy, August 4 - 5, 2019
- Analytical Thinking, Technology, Mathematics and Women (Keynote speech). 20th International Conference on Computer Science and Mathematics (ICCSM 2018), New York, USA October 8 - 9, 2018 Marikyan, Gohar. All Terms of Martin-Löf's Type Theory Make a Full Lattice, Proceedings of the International Conference on Mathematics and Computational Science and Engineering (ICMCSE 2017), Tokyo, Japan, 2017
- Marikyan, Gohar. How Little is Needed to Encourage Our Students , All About Mentoring, Issue 50, Spring 2017
- Marikyan, Gohar. Inferences in Gentzen-Type G3 System and Martin-Löf's Type Theory; k+1 vs. 1, Proceedings of the 19th Japan-Korea Joint Workshop on Algorithms and Computation (WAAC 2016), Hakodate, Japan, 2016
- Marikyan, Gohar. Development of Math Anxiety and How to Eliminate It, Abstract, Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Education (EDU 2016), Dubai, United Arab Emirates, 2016
- Marikyan, Gohar. Interrelation between Mathematics and Common Sense, Abstract, Proceedings of the Twenty-Second International Learning Conference, Madrid, Spain, 2015
- Marikyan, Gohar. Algorithms and Computation of Complex Functions in Martin-Löf's Type Theory, Proceedings of the 17th Korea-Japan Joint Workshop on Algorithms and Computation (WAAC 2014), Okinawa, Japan, 2014
- Marikyan, Gohar. The Interrelation between Mathematical Logic, Math Education, and its History, All About Mentoring, Issue 44, 2013, pp. 57–60.
- Marikyan, Gohar. Development of Logical Think among Students, Athens: ATINER's Conference Paper Series, No. MAT2013-0474, 2013, pp. 5–10.
- Marikyan, Gohar. Strategies for Development of Analytical Thinking through Teaching Mathematics, Mathematic Abstracts, Seventh Annual International Conference on Mathematics Education & Statistics Education, Mathematics and Statistics, June 17-20, 2013, Athens, Greece, http://www.atiner.gr/abstracts/2013ABST-MAT.pdf, pp. 50–51.
- Marikyan, Gohar. Notes on Mathematical Model of Decision-Making Process, Revisiting Boyer, Volume 1, 2011, pp. 75–78.
- Marikyan, Gohar. The Complexity of Logical Inferences in Gentzen-Type System and in Martin-Löf’s Theory of Small Types, Mal'tsev Meeting, Novosibirsk, Siberia, Russia, May 2-6, 2010
- Marikyan, Gohar. Mentoring: Not Something That One Can Read In “How To” Books, All About Mentoring, Issue 36, Fall 2009
- Marikyan, Gohar. Notes on Math Anxiety Among Students: Cause-and-Effect, Pro-and-Con, The International Journal of Learning, Volume 16, 2009, pp. 211–221.
- Marikyan, Gohar. Research on Per Martin-Löf’s Type Theory, Journal of Computational Technologies, Novosibirsk, Russia, 2009, Volume 14, No. 1
- Marikyan, Gohar. Per Martin-Löf’s Type Theory For Automated Program Writing, International Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics, 2008, Volume 42, No. 4
- Marikyan, Gohar. Math Anxiety and Adult Students, All About Mentoring, Issue 33, Winter 2008, pp. 79–88.
- Marikyan, Gohar. Automated Program Writing System Based on Per Martin-Löf’s Type Theory, Fourth International Conference of Applied Mathematics and Computing, 2007, Volume 3
- Marikyan, Gohar. Anania Shirakatsi’s 7th Century Methodology of Teaching Arithmetic Across the Centuries and Diverse Cultures, History and Epistemology in Mathematics Education, Proceedings of the 5th European Summer University, Prague 2007
- Marikyan, Gohar. Complexity of Logical Inferences in Martin-Löf’s Type Theory. Part 1, Logic, Computability and Randomness 2007, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Marikyan, Gohar. Consistency of Martin-Löf’s Intuitionistic Type Theory, The Bulletin of Symbolic Logic, Volume 12, Number 4, December 2006
- Marikyan, Gohar. Automation of Inference in Marin-Löf’s Intuitionistic Type Theory, The Bulletin of Symbolic Logic, Volume 12, Number 3, September 2006
- Marikyan, Gohar. Modulation of the Recursive Algorithms by Means of Martin-Löf's Type Theory
- Marikyan, Gohar. Regulation of Terms of Martin-Löf's Type Theory, Fixed-Point and Recursion Theorems in Martin-Löf's Type Theory
- Marikyan, Gohar. Inference Search System with Dialogue in Martin-Löf's Intuitionistic Type Theory
- Marikyan, Gohar. Some Varieties of Reducibility and their Differences on Recursively Innumerable Sets