- Academic School:
Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Academic Department:
Social Science and Public Affairs
- 315-472-5730 ext:3148
- B.A. in Urban Studies, American History from University of Pennsylvania
- Ph.D. in Anthropology from University of California, Berkeley
- Cultural Studies
- Gender and Sexuality Studies
- Interdisciplinary Multidisciplinary Studies
- Social Science
Dr. Nadine Fernandez is a cultural anthropologist and mentor. Her research examines immigration, race and gender relations in Cuba, the Caribbean and Latin America. With the recent changes in Cuba, she is especially interested in the resurgence and effects of mass tourism on the island. Her current work focuses on the intersection of transnational immigration and tourism that results in Cubans marrying foreigners and moving abroad.
She works with students face to face, in fully online courses and in blended courses on a range of topics related to Latin American and Caribbean cultures, gender and family, diversity, immigration and a wide range of studies in cultural anthropology. In her free time, she enjoys hiking, camping and baking bread.
- Groes, Christian and Nadine T. Fernandez (eds.) 2018. Intimate Mobilities: Sexual Economies, Marriage, and Migration in a Disparate World. New York: Berghahn Books.
- Fernandez, Nadine. 2018. The Masculine and Moral Self – migration narratives of Cuban husbands in Scandinavia In (eds.) Christian Groes and Nadine T. Fernandez, Intimate Mobilities: Sexual Economies, Marriage, and Migration in a Disparate World. New York: Berghahn Books.
- Fernandez, Nadine. 2014. Fernandez, Nadine T. and Tina G. Jensen. Intimate Contradictions: Comparing the Impact of Danish Family Unification Laws on Pakistani and Cuban Marriage Migrants. Journal of Ethnic & Migration Studies 40 (7): 1136-1153. DOI:10.1080/1369183X.2013.854692
- Fernandez, Nadine. 2013. Moral boundaries and national borders: Cuban marriage migration to Denmark. Identities: Global Studies in Power and Culture 20(3) 270-287. DOI: 10.1080/1070289X.2013.806266
- Fernandez, Nadine. 2010. Revolutionizing Romance: Interracial couples in contemporary Cuba. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press.