- Grad Academic Division:
Business, Management and Leadership
- 716-686-7800 ext:3872
- M.S. in Economics/International Trade from Warsaw School of Economics
- MBA in Financial Management from University of Exeter
- Ph.D. in Economics, World Economy and International Business Strategy from Warsaw School of Economics
- Health Administration
Dr. Sylwia E Starnawska joined the MBA team of School for Graduate Studies of SUNY Empire State College as an Assistant Professor from D’Youville College, Buffalo NY and in 2017, she was promoted to the Associate Professor rank . She serves as the Global Finance and Investment certificate coordinator.
She also held academic positions at University of Podlasie (Poland), Central Piedmont Community College and University of Phoenix (North Carolina). She was a Coordinator of the Bologna Process for creation of the European Higher Education Area and implementation of the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS), both supporting the Lisbon Strategy execution in the European Union.
She received her MSc and PhD in Economics from Warsaw School of Economics (Poland), and MBA in Financial Management from University of Exeter in England (UK).
Dr. Starnawska has over 10 years of successful international business experience in management of financial institutions, mainly MNCs. She was involved in international corporate finance, global capital markets and international investments.
The British Government recognized her with an award of scientific scholarship. Dr. Starnawska served for CNBC as a guest speaker and a professional marketing face from London (England). Dr. Starnawska also holds Investment Management Certificate required in the UK to manage global mutual funds.
Her research interests and publications focus on international financial markets; multinational strategic management; value-based management and shareholder value creation; global portfolio management.
She serves as an active reviewer for economics and finance textbooks, and academic papers and research for international conferences of the Academy of the International Business (AIB), and is a member of the American Economic Association (AEA), the American Finance Association (AFA), and the Financial Management Association (FMA).
- Starnawska, S. (2019). Global Financial Strategy of MNE with a Selected Overseas Subsidiary Expansion. In M.A. Gonzalez-Perez, K. Lynden & V. Taras V (Eds.), The Palgrave Handbook of Learning and Teaching International Business and Management, Palgrave MacMillan.
- Bhoke-Africanus, A., Starnawska, S. (2019). The Analysis of Sub-Saharan African Women Participation in Business, Using the US as a Study Model. International Journal of Gender and Women’s Studies, 7(1), 85-94, June 2019.
- Starnawska, S. (2016, June 27-30). Drivers of Economic Value Added (EVA) – Based on Performance of Top Global Market Value Added (MVA) Corporate Deliverers. Paper presented at the Academy of International Business, 2016 Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA.
- Starnawska, S. (2015, January 3-5). Active Application of the Game Theory into a Classroom Game with Ethical Concerns and Understanding of Versatile Business Implications. Poster presentation at the American Economic Association Annual Meeting, Boston. MA.
- Starnawska, S. (2015). Banking failures and unethical leadership. in: Belasen, A. and Toma, R. (Eds), Confronting Corruption in Business: Trusted Leadership, Civic Engagement, Routledge.