- Academic School:
Arts and Humanities
- Academic Department:
Arts and Media
- 518-587-2100 ext:2790
- Ph.D. in Writing, Teaching, and Criticism from University at Albany - State University of New York
- M.A. in English from University at Albany - State University of New York
- B.A. in Communication from University at Albany - State University of New York
- Digital Media
- Digital Studies
Thomas P. Mackey, Ph.D. is Professor of Arts and Media in the School of Arts and Humanities at SUNY Empire State College. He teaches online courses in Digital Storytelling, History & Theory of New Media, Information Design, Ethics of Digital Art & Design, Educational Planning, and Special Topics: Empowering Yourself in a Post-Truth World. He works with students on developing independent studies in Digital Portfolio Assessment, Social and Community Informatics, and Advanced Digital Arts & Technology. Dr. Mackey's research examines metaliteracy, a model he originated with Prof. Trudi E. Jacobson, as a reflective, empowering, and self-directed approach to teaching and learning. They have published research about metaliteracy in several books, peer-reviewed journal articles, conference proceedings, and have been invited to keynote on this topic nationally and internationally. They established and co-lead the Metaliteracy Learning Collaborative to advance research, writing, grant projects, open educational resources (OER), and innovative learning environments. Dr. Mackey served as an administrator at SUNY Empire State College for ten years as Associate Dean and Dean of the Center for Distance Learning (CDL), and in senior management roles as Vice Provost for Academic Programs and Interim Provost. Previously, he was a faculty member in the Department of Information Studies at The University at Albany and Associate Dean at The Sage Colleges. He serves on the Board of Directors for the Mohawk Hudson Humane Society in the Capital Region of New York where he is Chair of the Nominating and Governance Committee.
- Mackey, T. P., and Jacobson, T.E., Metaliteracy in a Connected World: Developing Learners as Producers. New York: American Library Association (ALA)/Neal-Schuman Publishers, Inc., 2021.
- Mackey, T. P. (2020). Embedding Metaliteracy in the Design of a Post-Truth MOOC: Building Communities of Trust. Communications in Information Literacy, 14 (2), 346–361. https://pdxscholar.library.pdx.edu/comminfolit/vol14/iss2/9/
- Mackey, T.P. "Empowering Metaliterate Learners for the Post-Truth World" In Mackey, T. P. and Jacobson, T.E. (Eds.), Metaliterate Learning for the Post-Truth World. American Library Association (ALA)/Neal-Schuman Publishers, Inc., 2019.
- Mackey, T. P., and Jacobson, T.E., Metaliteracy: Reinventing Information Literacy to Empower Learners. American Library Association (ALA)/Neal-Schuman Publishers, Inc., 2014.
- Mackey, T. P., and Jacobson, T.E., (Eds.) Teaching Information Literacy Online. Neal-Schuman Publishers, Inc., 2011.