- 646-230-1209 ext:1209
- MA in Liberal Studies from Empire State College - State University of New York
- BA in American Studies from University of Missouri - Kansas City
- American Studies
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
Tom Kerr, an alumnus of the ESC Master of Arts in Liberal Studies (MALS) program, has been a member of the Van Arsdale staff since 2008. Initially hired as a writing coach, he has also served the Labor School as interim coordinator of student services and as an adjunct instructor. Since 2012 he has served as Enrollment Specialist and a mentor to non-apprentice undergraduate students. Tom’s expertise is in the area of individualized prior learning assessment (iPLA) request development. He coordinated, and taught in a non-apprentice undergraduate program for electricians and other union members (2010-2015); mentored two students selected as recipients for the SUNY Chancellor’s Award for Student Excellence; co-led a group of eight students to Geneva, Switzerland to attend an International Labor Organization’s (ILO) annual congress (2012); and, served on the editing committee for several issues of the publication, Labor Writes. Tom’s work with students in iPLA over the past eight years has yielded over four-hundred evaluated requests with less than a five-percent recommended at zero credit.
Tom is working on a comprehensive model, The Threshold Learning Project (TLP), to support documentation of experiential and college level learning in the iPLA process. The TLP includes an applicable course workbook and other components. This is the outcome of participation in the Empire State College Institute for Mentoring, Teaching and Learning (IMTL.)
Tom is a poet, and is writing a novel, Fathers of the Sea.
- Kerr, T. (2019). "Developing iPLA Requests with Labour Leaders Using the Threshold Learning Model." Work Based Learning e-Journal, (Vol. 8, No. 1).
- Kerr, T. (2018). "Occupational Confrontations: Regarding PLA Development at the Van Arsdale Center." All About Mentoring, (Issue 51, Winter).
- Kerr, T. (2016). “Voice and Struggle: A Review of What Did You Learn at Work Today? The Forbidden Lessons of Labor Education by Helen Worthen.” All About Mentoring, (Issue 48, Winter).
- Kerr, T. (2014). "Thinking of Doing." PLAIO (Prior Learning Assessment Inside Out), (Volume 2, Number 2).
- Kerr, T. (2013). "An Update on PLA for Labor Leaders and Electricians." The Journal of Continuing Higher Education, (61:183-186).